CREAMY VEGAN CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH RED CURRY
- 1 large (2-pound) head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 small (1/2 pound) russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice (from 1 lime)
- Pepitas for garnish, optional
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a half sheet pan with parchment.
Toss the cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt on the parchment-lined pan. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and caramelized.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Sauté the onion and white scallions over medium-high heat until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, curry paste, potatoes, and remaining salt. Cook until very fragrant, about 2 minutes. Pour in the stock, and scrape up any brown bits that may have formed on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, and then simmer on low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in 2/3 of the roasted cauliflower, the coconut milk, and lime or lemon juice. Bring back to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
Puree using an immersion or standing blender until very smooth, adding more liquid as necessary to create the consistency you want. Taste for seasoning, and add more curry or salt, as necessary.
Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with the reserved roasted cauliflower, sliced green scallions, and pepitas (optional).
Category Views 304