VEGAN MUSHROOM STROGANOFF
This is a classic comfort food dish that pairs perfectly with a cracking fire and snow falling outside your window. After you’ve made it once, you will quickly add it to your weekly dinner rotations until tank top season, at which point, you only might give it a rest.
4 - 6
- 8 ounces uncooked ribbon noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups beefless beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (half Portobello and half White Button mushrooms), cut into large 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream (optional)
- 10 turns of fresh ground, black pepper
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
Cook the noodles per the direction on the package. Under cook them a bit because they will be cooked again once incorporated into the sauce.
Drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes over medium heat.
Add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Gradually add the broth, soy sauce, lemon juice, and tomato paste, while stirring at the same time. Stir until mixture becomes thick and bubbly, about a minute.
Add the mushrooms, thyme, sage, and salt. Stir to combine.
Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until mushrooms have shrunk in size.
Add the vinegar and simmer for 4 more minutes.
Add the noodles, sour cream, 1 tablespoon of flour, black pepper, and parsley and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
Garnish with parsley.
Category Views 3907